The home buying process is a lengthy one, and many buyers rush through or even forgo the home inspection. It’s important that you don’t make the same mistake! Professional home inspections can save you time and money, or even prevent you from making a disastrous deal. In case you’re not convinced, I’ve compiled a quick list of some serious home defects that can be found during a home inspection:
- Defect #1: Bad FoundationUnless you can negotiate a price reduction to cover cost, walk away.
- Defect #2: Worn RoofMost likely it will need to be replaced. If the seller will not do so, negotiate a lower price.
- Defect #3: Termite InfestationThe house is probably in need of expensive structural repairs. Unless the seller is willing to help pay, it’s probably not a good investment.
- Defect #4: Outdated WiringThis can be expensive to correct, and is a dangerous problem. Negotiate with the seller after getting an estimate from an electrician.
- Defect #5: Damaged Shower PanGet an estimate from a contractor if you find water under the shower, and negotiate with the seller to cover costs.
Protecting your investment, especially one as special as a new home, is crucial. An expert home inspection is often the most important step in securing that protection. More tips on home buying are available on my website. If you’d like to talk more about home inspections or any of your real estate questions, please call. I’d love to hear from you.